I got a lovely, lovely gift from a blogger friend today and I was going to slow myself down to write a *cough* brilliantly crafted blog, but then I thought, “Nah, just write it from the heart…” So here I am, off the cuff as usual!
And isn’t it a wonderful thing to share?! So here are the rules, and I’m all for this one:
1. List 10 things that make you happy.
2. Try to do at least one thing on the list today.
3. List 10 bloggers who brighten your day.
4. Those of you to whom I give this award are to link back to my blog and perpetuate the happy with your own lists and recipients and so on and so forth… (see, I got to work in […]!) –> if that isn’t punctuation overload, I don’t know what is!
So here we go!
Ten things that make me happy!
1. (ok, you all have to see this one coming) […] Seriously, what would I do without it? It gives some form to my meaningful pauses.
2. (and these are in no particular order, because I think this is my favorite) Kisses and hugs and “I love you mom” from my boys. I love them now, when they are little and the kisses are sticky. I’ll love them when I’m old and wrinkly and I’M the one who is a bit sticky-faced…
3. My honey cuddled up next to me and his warm, furry legs. And yes, I’m talking about my husband, not the dog. Really.
4. When my honey cooks for me because it’s sweet that he’s the cook in the family and I’m the kitchen fool.
5. Rain and storms. Think wild and loud and crazy. They make me feel energized and oh so alive!
6. The feel and smell of my children’s hair, especially right after a bath, but even when they’re all dusty and grubby. Ahhh…
7. Fall on campus, when the leaves change color, the students (the smart ones) start bundling up, and everyone looks rosy-cheeked.
8. Breakfast with my mum (or a cup of tea or lunch or being together on a long drive, across a couple states). I guess it’s true… No matter how old you are, you always want to be with your mummy.
9. My dog curled up on my feet while I’m reading. This one is sort of a two-fer. I love the feeling as he breathes deeply, knowing that he’s happy just to be with me. I also love reading and if it’s interesting/well-written/thought-provoking/educational (any or all of the previous), well yay!
10. Being able to help someone. I don’t say this to be corny or to garner attention. I am simply deeply motivated to help people – whether it’s to solve a problem, offer up a hug, or fix a broken something. It makes me really happy.
Now I know it could be pointed out that I didn’t include my blog readings or writing itself. These come in a completely separate category and here’s why… (yep, worked that in there too) Reading blogs often makes me happy, but it’s so much more than that. It’s a sense of community – a sense of “oh my hell, I’m not alone” – a sense of wonder that for all we are all so different, we’re also really similar. Blogs make me cry. They make me laugh. They challenge me to write, maybe just a tiny bit better than the day before or the week or month before. They make me feel like I have a community of which I’m a part, when for so many years I felt a sense of distance and loneliness from folks around me. I don’t know why, but reading the words that are written out here gives me a sense of connection that was missing. It gives me a way to communicate with my real life friends that I am so often remiss in talking to, given the day-to-day grind of work/school/children that seems to absorb the days.
But more than anything, once I started reading the blogs that I have dearly come to love, I discovered my writing voice as well. I found my outlet – my therapy – my creativity – my passion – my fun – in writing. It’s not to say that I’m always on top of my game. Oy! No. The last seven months of last year proved that, all too well, I think. But I bounced back and maybe this year I’ll stretch those writing muscles just a little bit more. Because writing can be a joy.
So here are 10 of my favorite blogs that I hope you’ll check out and discover and take a dip into. They give me things to cheer about, laugh about, and sometimes they give me things to ache about. There is only one that I won’t put in the list now, because we lost her last year, and that was Clusterfook. Boy I miss her. I hope her husband and girls are doing well…
And here they are, in no particular order because on any given day they can all be my favorite:
1. The Water Witch’s Daughter (she found me recently and we seem to share that peculiar sense of humor that makes life so much fun! Here’s to the sweetest things – suzicate!!)
2. Bad Mommy Moments (it was her blog title that drew me in, it was her writing that has kept me coming back… join CK in her adventures, trust me)
3. Faemom (oh where to start… I love her blog. Simplistic, isn’t it? But she tells the best stories about the conversations with her children – why can’t I do that?? sigh…)
4. Kaiya’s Laughter heals (and CJ rocks too) (Court sometimes says words that appear to come right out of my brain…)
5. Not Drowning, Mothering (I know… another mom blog, but I swear these are the beautiful delicious cream! NDM and her tagline about unreasonably angry cat – well, she is fantastic. If you need to smile – read her. Seriously.)
6. Whiskey in My Sippy Cup (she grabbed me with the title… admit it, at least once you were tempted… Her voice will have you rolling. I LOVE good voice!)
7. The Kitchen Witch (yeah! Great writing AND great recipes! Oh be still my happy Taurean foody heart)
8. The Domestic Diva (so I’m not ONLY mom… I do have outside interests. She happens to be a mom AND crafty/sewing/creative. Some day. Some day I will be back to more sewing and shaping and sigh… jewelry making)
9. Margaret and Helen (can I please, please, please be this articulate and feisty and amazing when I finally have grandchildren? Caution! These two friends tell it like it is and they are wonderful!)
10. HAH! Out-Numbered (a DAD blog! Yes! And he’s fantastic. So there. Please check him out!)
Ok… honestly, I wanted to list every one of the blogs on my blog roll list. Each one brings something wonderful to the table so I’m putting it out there… Check them out. I usually go for the ones who tell it like it is – real life – down and dirty (for those of us in the diaper trenches). So Far(rar), So Good, Mikerzz, The Road to Contentment… My honey’s blog – Electr0hed (for the techy, geeky types). Every one of them is wonderful and brings something to this writing world that is worth-while.
So here’s to the sweetest things and for the record I got to enjoy 1, 2, 3, and 6 today!