Interview, tomorrow at 10am

The HR lady from the tutoring company is calling me at 10am tomorrow and we’ll have a 15 minute or so interview.  I got all my materials in and I got my fingerprinting/background check dropped off with the state police.  I’m looking forward to talking to her and I’m feeling very positive that everything will work out just fine.

I also met with my advisor today.  Returning to the early childhood program was a good idea.  I’ll submit my appeal for reinstatement of my financial aid for spring, although I’m not holding my breath on that one.  I’m pretty much expecting that it won’t happen and I’ll have to just hang tough.

During the course of our meeting, it came up that in order to be certified to teach via the early childhood blended certificate, I’ll have to do the undergraduate classes too.  It struck me that if I wasn’t going to get financial aid anyway, why not give up on doing the graduate classes and just do the second bachelor’s degree (because that’s essentially what I’d be getting)?

Well.  I’m not sure about the answer to that one.  If I do the M.A. in ECE then I think that will place me in a good position if I ever want to make it to director level.  So I think I’m on the right path.

I guess I’ll just have to see how this all goes.  I’m going to take the Praxis 1 in January.  I’ll take it sooner if some money comes our way, but I’m not expecting that to happen.  It’d be nice, because then I’d have it done and I could let financial aid know that I’m serious about this.  I think the tutoring is going to do me worlds of good too…  I’ll be able to build up my confidence about my teaching ability.

Nothing much is coming out of the training/certificate idea.  Nothing at our vo-tech college seems to be a good fit, but I haven’t dug into it too deeply.  There are non-traditional fields that interest me, but nothing that would be a fairly short-term training program.  It seems that I’m pretty set on a longer term plan.

The tutoring thing only pays once per month, following the month worked…  So this means that the soonest (likely) that I’ll see anything financially from it will be January.  That’s a tough deal, especially with the holidays coming but we’ve already talked about how there won’t really be Christmas for us this year.  It’s getting Todd’s family to understand this…  They are big on Christmas…  What can I do though?  Every cent we have is going to food and gas for the van.  That’s it.  And we’re not exactly going to make it on the food issue.  Mum’s helping us there…  what a thought.  Almost 40 and needing help from mum.

I know that we’ll get through this and be back on track but it’s a damn long way off when you’re looking at years of school.  In an ideal world, Todd would get hired on at the university so he’d be earning decent money AND get the fee waiver for us… then I’d be free to do tutoring for several children each month and take full-time classes so that it wouldn’t take me 5 years to do the M.A. and certification.

Here’s the plan:  I will do my M.A. classes and try to get my degree done in 2 1/2 years, at the same time I’ll pick up an undergrad class here and there to help me get through the certification program…  hopefully, I’ll get real employment in my field when the M.A. is pretty much done and do the provisional status that will give me 3 years to get certified from the time I get hired.

That’s the plan, anyway.  Looking at the classes, I think I can do it.  I am going to need all the encouragement and support I can get to make it through though.  I’m going to put together a collage of little faces and I’m going to remind myself EVERY DAY:  This is worth it.  I can make a difference.

I have to let go of the worries about money.  I’ll make sure that I work the extra hours, but I’ll keep trying to get Todd on with the U.  That’s the best option for us… They’ll work with his schedule and I’d be freed up to earn a good living, all while getting those classes knocked out.

I like my advisor.  She’s a very nice person and I know that she’ll try to steer me in the right direction.  I may have to get some additional advising about the certification process in order to ensure that I don’t do something wrong, but I’m ready.  So much to think about and still the money has to keep flowing and the family has to have clean clothes and food.

Sometimes I really do wonder if we’re nuts for trying to do this.  Then I realize the answer is yes.  One step forward every day.  That’s all I’m asking for.  Oh yeah.  And a raise.  That’d help out a lot.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s